New Year in Athens 2023 | Top 9 Things to Do, Events, Parties & More!
Many treasures of Renaissance art and architecture may be found in Florence, the capital of Italy's Tuscany province. The Duomo, a cathedral with a terracotta-tiled dome designed by Brunelleschi and a bell tower designed by Giotto, is one of the city's most prominent attractions. The city also has various museums and art galleries, like the Uffizi Gallery and the Palazzo Pitti, and continues to have an impact on art, culture, and politics. If you’re planning to visit the stunning city, you need to visit at the right time. Read on to discover the best time to visit Florence.
What's the Best Time to Visit Florence?
Best Months for Staying Outdoors in Florence: April and May
Best Months for Sightseeing & Museum Hopping: April, May, September, and October
Best Months for Honeymooners: April, May, September, and October
Best Months for Budget Travellers: August, December, January, and February
Best Months for Shopaholics: July and August
When: mid-May to July, September
What to Expect:
- Summer is the busiest tourist season in Florence, except for August, when most Italians go on vacation.
- Airfares and hotel rates are at their peak between mid-May and July, as well as until September.
- The weather will most likely be hot, and the crowds will be thick.
When: March to mid-May, October, and November
What to Expect:
- Many people believe the shoulder season, notably March, April, and October, to be the greatest time to visit Florence.
- The throngs of tourists have either not arrived or are starting to dwindle.
- This is the time of year when the weather is usually pleasant.
When: August and December to February
What to Expect:
- Florence's low season is usually winter but the weather doesn’t get too harsh.
- Expect fewer crowds and better lodging and airfare deals during the winter.
- Prepare for fog and rain during a winter visit, which means colder temperatures.
Seasons in Florence
March - May
Average Temperatures: 5 - 24°C
Spring arrives in Florence, with the weather becoming warmer, the days becoming longer, and the skies becoming brighter. It's a beautiful time of year to visit the iconic Italian Renaissance Gardens of Boboli and Bardini. The spring season runs from April to May, and while it is peak tourist season, it is still one of the greatest times to visit Florence.
Tips: Given the pleasant weather, this is the perfect time to stroll around beautiful Florence
June - August
Average Temperatures: 16 - 32°C
Florence has a torrid summer, with temperatures reaching record highs in July and August. International travelers come in during school vacations, making these the biggest holiday months. These are the finest months to get a gelato and stroll around hot Florence's cobblestone streets. Numerous summer events focused on dance, music, and art are also held in the city.
Tips: Apply sunscreen liberally before stepping out, especially if you visit in July and August
September - December
Average Temperatures: 6 - 27°C
The months of September and October are some of the best for visiting Florence. It's a welcome relief from the summer heat, with occasional showers. The changing colors of the leaves on the trees in the town's parks, avenues, and streets, as well as the glittering reflections in the Arno River, all make a visit to Florence at this time of year worthwhile.
Tips: Autumn is the harvest season for wine. Visit a vineyard and drink world-class Tuscan wines if you have the opportunity.
January - February
Average Temperatures: 22 - 12°C
Florence in the winter is your go-to location if you don't like snow. Although it seldom snows in the city, when it does, it is usually light snow that quickly turns to rain. The temperatures do not drop below freezing, and with proper clothes, you can have a pleasant time. Florence is one of the best locations to visit during Christmas because of its markets, festivities, and decorations, making it one of the best places to visit during the holiday season.
Tips: Rainy winter weather is the perfect excuse to spend the day in the wonderful museums of Florence.
Recommended Attractions in Florence
Best Time to Visit Florence: Month on Month Guide
Average Temperature: 2 - 11°C
January is the coldest month in Florence, with fog and rain, but it's unlikely to be so cold that you'll require a heavy winter coat. It's also the off-season for tourists, but the festivities in Florence aren't over yet! The Epiphany, also known as Befana, is a large celebration commemorating the Three Wise Men's gifts, with the main ceremony taking place at Piazza Duomo.
Things to do:
- Visit Uffizi Gallery
- Tour Palazzo Pitti
- Witness the grandeur of Duomo Florence
- Discover Fortezza da Basso
Travel Tips: Dress in layers, with a waterproof jacket as the final layer, as well as a cap and gloves.
Average Temperature: 3- 12°C
In February, the weather begins warming up, resulting in slightly less precipitation. While the average high temperature remains at 12°C, the low temperature rises to 4°C, and just 49mm of rain falls on average over eight days. The month's highlight is the Carnival, which is one of the best in Europe and lasts two weeks. It's also a classical music and opera season, with performances at the Teatro Verde and the Opera del Duomo.
Things to do:
- Go for a Florence Segway guided tour
- Explore Palazzo Pitti
- Embark on a day trip to Chianti
- Head to Fortezza Antiquaria
Travel Tips: As February isn't the busiest month, you can visit all of Florence's museums at your leisure.
Average Temperature: 5 - 16°C
The weather remains warm through March, with the average high reaching 15°C and the low reaching 6°C. While the amount of precipitation increases significantly, it usually comes in the form of fog or mist. The flowers are in full bloom, and during Festa Della Donna, locals honor the women in their lives by offering yellow mimosa flowers.
Things to do:
- Visit Duomo Florence
- Make your way to Accademia Gallery
- Go for a day trip to Siena
- Explore Uffizi Gallery
Travel Tips: If you're visiting around the second half of March, you might want to bring a few items for the warmer weather.
Average Temperature: 8 - 19°C
The weather in April in Florence might be a little variable, but it's more likely to be sunny than rainy. With a peak temperature of roughly 19°C, it will be much warmer now. Florence is getting ready for Holy Week, Easter, and Liberation Day celebrations. With marathons like Vivicitta and Eco-marathon, as well as the Florence Bike Festival, April is a great month to get outside.
Things to do:
- Go for a Tuscan wine tour
- Visit Duomo Florence
- Explore Siena Cathedral
- Spend half a day at Boboli Garden
Travel Tips: Attend the International Handicrafts Fair to purchase genuine Florentine handicrafts.
Hacks & Tricks to Visit Florence
- You'll get the greatest bang for your buck and the chance to travel without the crowds during the chilly low season, which runs from November to March. Accommodation costs might be as much as 50% less than in the high season.
- Millions of tourists visit Florence each year, putting a strain on the city's livability. Clean up after yourself, and avoid sitting with your food on random steps.
- Many smaller pubs and shops still don't take credit cards or demand a fee to use them. It's better and much easier to have a small sum of money.
- Step out of Florence and discover the beautiful heart of Tuscany, which is filled with historic villages and old vineyards, and olive groves.
- Take a food tour and enjoy a gourmet feast as you slowly dine your way from one establishment to the next.
- The further you walk away from the historic district, the less expensive items become. Staying in a less-traveled suburb or off-the-beaten-path neighborhood and commuting to the city center will save you a lot of money.
Know More About the Best Time to Visit Florence
The best time to visit Florence is between May and September when the weather is mild, bringing art festivals, open-air restaurants, and beautiful sunshine.
The high season in Florence is from mid-May to July and September.
The hottest month of the year in Florence in July.
The coldest month in Florence in January.
It rains the most in November in Florence.
The best time to go sight-seeing in Florence is April and May or September and October
Florence is less crowded in November, February, and March.
You can get budget deals in Florence in August, December, January, and February.
You can swim at the beach in Florence in May but note that the temperature can be as low as 15.5°C.
You can visit the many palaces in the city, visit Accademia Gallery, and enjoy authentic Tuscan winter food in Florence in winter.
You can spend a day at La Citè, attend the Gelato Festival, and enjoy a picnic at Le Cascine Park in Florence in spring.
You can go for a day trip to Tuscany, visit the famous theatres of the city, and visit beaches like Marina di Pisa in Florence in autumn.
The best time to visit Florence with kids is May and September.
The best time to visit Florence for couples is April, May, September, and October.
The best time to visit Florence while traveling solo is from April to October.